THE SANDGATE MEMBERS CLUB RULES
Last Updated March 2019
At the AGM of 20th March 2019, the following proposals was discussed:
Proposal: The abolition of the Ladies Associated Membership which could be seen as discriminating. As from 1st January 2020, existing Associate Lady Members will be required to pay the same applicable subscription as the full members.”
Proposed G Wyatt, Seconded C Frost, Supported 12 Full Members.
After some discussion, the proposal was put to the vote, and from the 31 signed-in members, 30 votes in favour were recorded. This clearly exceeds the 2/3rds majority required to change the Club Rules, and the proposal was passed. Lady Associate Member status will no longer be available, and existing Lady Associate members will be asked to become full members as of their next membership payment. There is no requirement for a joining fee or membership to be agreed by committee for existing Lady Associate members becoming full members.
The below rules will remove references to associate lady members at the end of their current period of membership: December 2019.
The Annual General Meeting elects a Committee who manage the Club on behalf of members.
Agendas and Minutes of General Meetings from March 2019 onwards are available on this website.
Note: Sandgate Members Club has a Club Premises Licence for its premises at 70 Sandgate High Street. To hold such a licence, the club is required to meet certain criteria to qualify as a club under the 2003 Licencing Act. There is guidance on those criteria on the Home Office website.
- The Club is to be called “The Sandgate Members Club”.
- The Club is instituted for promoting social recreation amongst the men and women of Sandgate and the neighbourhood.
- Membership of the club shall comprise ordinary members, associate lady members and temporary members. The annual subscription shall be as from time to time determined by the Annual General Meeting (and may be different for each year in the class of Membership) and must be paid not later than 31 January in each year in case of ordinary members. The rights of members to enjoy the facilities of the Club shall be as may be determined from time to time by the committee subject to any specific decision of the Club in the General Meeting. Associate lady members and temporary members shall not be entitled to attend or vote at General Meetings.
- Every candidate for election as an ordinary member shall be not less than 18 years of age and must be proposed and seconded by a member of the club. Such candidate’s name shall be posted on the club notice board for at least 48 hours before being balloted for at a Committee meeting. Each candidate shall be notified in writing of the result of the ballot. Any candidate must have been a member for 2 years or more to sit on the committee.
- The property of the club shall be vested in three Trustees.
- A Committee comprising nine ordinary members, and a President, the three Trustees and Honorary Secretary and Honorary Treasurer ex-officio shall manage the affairs of the club. The Committee shall elect one of the nine ordinary Members as the Chairman at the first meeting after the Annual General Meeting and they shall hold office until their successor is elected. The President, Honorary Secretary and the Honorary Treasurer shall hold office for one year, the Trustees for five years. The nine ordinary members of the Committee shall hold office for three years, one third retiring annually, it being agreed that initially the three members polling the highest number of votes shall retire after three years, the next three with the highest votes shall retire after two years and remaining three after one year. The Quorum of the Committee shall be four.
- The Club shall be open daily as follows: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 17.00 – 23.00, Saturdays 12.00 – 23.00 and Sundays 12.00 – 19.00. Club opening hours shall be determined by the committee within the constraints of the current Licensing Act. The opening hours may be altered at any time with the committee giving 28 days notice of any amendments. On general holidays the club may be opened during such time as the committee may decide. Intoxicating liquor shall only be served between the hours as stated.
- Members may introduce a visitor into the club once a month. No visitor living in the neighbourhood is to be allowed to visit the club more than once during any calendar month.
- If a member subscription is not paid by the prescribed date they shall be given 14 days notice, and if not then paid shall cease to be a member of the club.
- A Special General Meeting may be convened at any time by a requisition signed by 12 ordinary members, with printed names, legible signatures and membership numbers. The object of the meeting should be clearly defined and will be the only business to be transacted; otherwise the committee shall have full power to settle any question. The Secretary on receipt of the requisition shall post notice of such meeting and the object for which it is called, to all members not less than 28 days prior the date thereof. Any person signing the requisition must be in attendance of the meeting to confirm their support of said requisition.
- No alteration shall be made to these rules except at an A.G.M. Proposals for a change must be put on the notice board, for 28 days before a meeting, and will only be effective on a majority vote of members present. Life Memberships will only be offered on merit and service.
- The A.G.M. shall be the last week in First Quarter of the New Year with 7 days notice given.
- Misconduct of Members: No betting, drunkenness, bad language or disorderly conduct shall be permitted on the club premises. If any member shall commit a breach of any of these rules, or be guilty of any other misconduct the committee shall, if they think fit, have the power to expel a member from the club, and their decision absolutely binding and final.
- Damage to property: Any person damaging the furniture or other property of the club shall make good the same to the satisfaction of the committee.
- Children under 18 years of age must be under strict supervision at all times and preferably confined to the lounge area. Children must not under any circumstances play on or around the snooker tables.
- No animals (except guide dogs) are permitted on the premises under any circumstances.
- Juveniles (13 to 18 years) are only permitted to use the snooker tables when accompanied and supervised by an appropriate adult. Priority for table use must been given to members and juniors are not permitted on the tables on match nights.
- Notices must not be added or removed from the board without prior consent from the committee. Any person found removing or defacing notices will be brought before the committee. This may result in suspension of membership or disbarment.
The Officers and Committee of The Sandgate Members Club will adhere to “Club Law” as defined by the judiciary and endeavour to maintain, and change where necessary, any rules to comply with legal requirements.
House Rules Passed By Committee
Members wishing to play snooker must enter their names on the board and play in that order or consult the names below before play commences.
Members names must not be entered on the board unless the person is on the club premises and remains so.Members using club cues will replace them in the rack after each game.
The Club cannot accept any responsibility for members cues left on the premises.
For competition purposes the snooker table must be booked at least 24 hours in advance by entering the participants name on the board.
Any person representing the Club is any league (Snooker, Cribbage, Darts etc) must be a member.
Bad language and unruly behaviour will not be tolerated in the Club.
The buying and selling on illegally imported alcohol, tobacco and other goods is strictly prohibited.
The Club operates a zero-tolerance policy towards illegal drugs and substances. Any member found using or supplying such items on the premises will be immediately disbarred and may have their membership revoked without appeal.